Letchworth woman celebrates 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A former editor of a local newspaper in Zimbabwe will be joined by friends and family from across the world to celebrate her 100th birthday.
Mary Read will reach the milestone on January 29 and is set to celebrate in style at a party at the Broadway Hotel in Letchworth GC on February 2.
Mary, who was born in Lancashire in 1913, moved to Kadoma, Zimbabwe, in 1924 where she lived for 80 years.
The city is linked with Stevenage and Mary has been an active volunteer in fundraising and raising the profile of the Stevenage Kadoma Link Association since she moved back to the country in 2004.
Whilst in Zimbabwe, Mary met her husband Joe and married him in September 1929. Joe passed away in 1990.
You may also want to watch:
The keen sportswoman, who now lives with her granddaughter, Catherine Jennings, in Letchworth GC, said: “Life has been very kind to me. I had four amazing sons who gave me great joy, a very happy marriage and I am lucky to be looked after now by my entire family.”
By her own admission Mary does not like to be called old. She said the secret to her 100 years has been to “have a bowl of All-Bran each morning, keeping fit, and having a positive outlook.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 2 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
- 10 New funding for social housing earmarked for independent living scheme
Mary, who has a Facebook account and Skypes family and friends abroad, said she is in “no hurry to go as life is so interesting.”