Letchworth widow enrols in five triathlons to raise money for bladder cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A widow is completing five triathlons, the first taking place today, in memory of her husband who died of bladder cancer ten years ago.
Kit Day of Hillpath, Letchworth GC decided to complete the events to commemorate the tenth year anniversary of her husband Phil’s death and is aiming to raise £2,500 for Action for Bladder Cancer.
Mr Day died aged 43 in September 2004, four years after being diagnosed with cancer and given 12 months to live.
The first event is the Bedford County Championship which takes place on Saturday and features a 400m swim, 24 km bike ride and a 5 km run.
The IT manager, who is also the chief inspector for Hertfordshire Special Constabulary, said: “It’s been ten years since Phil died and I thought I should do something to mark the occasion.
“He really loved being active and the outdoors so I thought doing a triathlon would be very fitting.
“Phil was father to our daughter Rebecca and we lost him after four years of first being diagnosed with bladder cancer. It was a painful time, Phil wanted to be strong for Rebecca, but the cancer got the better of him and he passed away at home.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 3 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 4 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 9 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
“Bladder cancer is the fourth most common cancer in men in England and awareness needs to be raised about its dangers.
“I am hoping to raise around £2,500 for charity by the end of the year.”
The couple married in April 1993 and had a daughter, Rebecca, in October 1994.
Mrs Day is also completing the other two events in the Bedford Super Sprint Series in June and October, the Welwyn Festival of Sport and the Tri-Force Triathlon in Hatfield.
To donate visit https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/kitday