Letchworth Town Hall clocks have trouble telling time... again
- Credit: Archant
The four faces on a historic town hall clock have been stuck in a time warp for at least a month, and are now out by about 90 minutes.
The grade II-listed Letchworth Town Hall in Broadway has been North Herts College’s administrative centre since 2013, and the college is on the lookout for someone to put the clock right.
A college spokeswoman said: “The Letchworth Town Hall clock has been working intermittently for around a month. We are currently in the process of sourcing a suitably skilled craftsperson to fix it.”
It’s not the first time the clock has gone out of kilter – from 2011 to 2014 each of the four faces showed a different time, with a £4,000 repair job commissioned by North Herts District Council taking five months.
Letchworth-based writer Jane Fae said: “As the rest of Letchworth gears itself up for the future, it would be quaint and eccentric if our town hall remained stuck in a time warp.
“I am sympathetic to North Herts College, who appear to be doing their best to find a man with a spanner to fix this – and I understand that the skills to deal with a clock of this nature are increasingly rare.
“Fingers crossed, therefore, that they do succeed, and can return Letchworth to British Summer Time before any more unaccounted-for hours and minutes escape from the town centre.”
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
When the Comet’s photographer Danny Loo took pictures of the clock at 11am today, all four faces claimed it to be 12.36pm.