Letchworth to host Big Lunch to celebrate Queen’s Diamond Jubilee
ORGANISERS behind a Diamond Jubilee celebration aim to embody the “spirit of neighbourliness” by holding a community picnic party.
Letchworth Garden City Rotary Club and Letchworth Town Centre Partnership are planning a Big Lunch in the town to mark the Queen’s 60th year.
The community picnic will be held at Howard Gardens from 11am to 2pm on June 2, the weekend after the official opening of Howard Park and Gardens to mark the culmination of a �2.7m renovation.
The free event hopes to attract families from all parts of the town with live entertainment, music and games, as well as providing a barbecue.
Nigel Downes, president of Letchworth Garden City Rotary Club, came up with the idea alongside Letchworth town centre manager Lee Boswell.
You may also want to watch:
”What we are planning is exactly the type of event the Queen had in mind when she spoke at the Palace of Westminster earlier this month,” said Mr Downes.
“She said she hoped her Diamond Jubilee would be an opportunity for people to come together in a spirit of neighbourliness and in celebration of their own communities. So that’s what we’re doing with a fabulous picnic party with everyone welcome.”
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 10 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
Mr Boswell added: “We’re hoping to fill Howard Gardens with people having fun at a friendly family lunch. And if it became an annual event that would be a terrific legacy of this year’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.”