Letchworth soldier killed in action honoured by The Queen
THE cousin of a soldier who was killed in action while serving for his country has received an award from The Queen in his honour - more than 57 years after his death.
Adrian Jones, of Letchworth GC, applied for the Elizabeth Cross - awarded to families of Armed Forces personnel killed on operations in recognition of their loss - last year in memory of his cousin, Private Robert Coulson, who was killed while on active service during the Suez Crisis of 1951 to 1954.
Pte Coulson, who lived in Archers Way in Letchworth GC, was 19-years-old and half-way through his two years’ national service with 1st Batallion Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment in Egypt’s the Canal Zone when he died on October 6, 1953.
Following its introduction in July 2009, Mr Jones, who is next of kin, applied for the Elizabeth Cross as the recognition is available to the families of those who died in conflicts dating back to 1948.
The 68-year-old said: “It comes as a fitting tribute to a great guy who paid the ultimate sacrifice for his Queen and country, and will serve as a permanent reminder of the part the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment played in the Suez Crisis of 1951-54.
You may also want to watch:
“There are still quite a few Suez veterans living in the North Herts area and I am sure they will be pleased to hear of this award.”
Mr Jones has decided to have the cross and accompanying scroll put on display in the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment Collection in Luton Museum alongside Pte Coulson’s General Service Medal, which was also awarded post-humously for his service in the Canal Zone.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'