Letchworth soap fan completes soapathon for Help for Heroes
- Credit: Archant
A RUNNER has taken the term soap addict to a whole new level after running to some of the most famous soap sets to raise money for charity.
Richard Kell started his soapathon on May 24, running almost two marathons a day for a week in support for Help for Heroes.
The first destination was the set of EastEnders in Elstree, with Richard then heading north for the Yorkshire Dales for a visit to Emmerdale’s Harrogate home, before heading accross the Penines towards the cobbled streets of Coronation Street in Manchester.
The final leg saw the Letchworth GC resident run a final marathon and a half to the Hollyoaks set on the outskirts of Liverpool.
“I got there in the end but it was really tough, at one point my feet and legs were swollen,” said Richard.
You may also want to watch:
“Everything is so much smaller than what you see on screen, but it was a surreal experience going to each of the sets.”
During the course of the 300-mile run, the 42-year-old met some of TV’s best known actors and actresses including Walford legend Adam Woodyatt, aka Ian Beale, who served up a cup of tea, and the landlords of the Queen Vic, Alfie and Kat.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 5 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
In the north, the sight of the Woolpack was a welcome one to Richard, having run the equivalent of nine marathons over the first five days of his charity challenge.
Despite a niggling shin injury, Richard, who works as a banker, completed the second episode of his soap inspired run, greeted by Emmerdale actresses Michelle Hardwick and Meg Johnson, who play Vanessa Woodfield and Pearl Ladderbanks.
The next stop was the set of Coronation Street, where he was treated to a tour of the set and introduced to Sue Cleaver and Tony Hirst – or Eileen Grimshaw and Paul Kershaw as they are known in the soap.
At the Hollyoaks set, he met the likes of Kieron Richardson (Ste Hay) and Stephanie Davis (Sinead O’Connor).
Richard completed his challenge last Thursday and aims to raise £100,000 for Help for Heroes.
To support him, visit www.justgiving.com/MidasMarathon