Letchworth’s Joyce, 92, takes on charity walk for second year running
- Credit: Archant
A 92-year-old woman from Letchworth is taking on a section of the Greenway route for the second consecutive year tomorrow.
Joyce Doel, who lives in Norton Hall Farm, will take on the five-mile challenge to raise money for Garden House Hospice Care, the East Anglian Air Ambulance and the Letchworth Rotary Club’s charities.
Last year, the retired teacher raised almost £600 for the causes, and hopes to do the same this year.
Joyce told the Comet: “These charities that rely on fundraising donations and provide a valuable service for the local community.
“I know a number of people who have benefitted from the care provided by the hospice.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m hopeful that I will be able to do it. I had a few problems and I feel I would be embarrassed if I don’t manage it, but I have determination to finish it. I feel fairly confident that I will complete it.
“I’m slightly nervous in some ways, but I’m looking forward to it.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
Joyce’s training has included walking to Embroiderers’ Guild meetings at the Letchworth Settlement and back home again – a round trip of 2.5 miles.
She also walks along the Greenway with her daughter Anna and swims regularly at Nuffield Health, where she is their oldest member.
She added: “I have been finding it hard to build up my mileage, but I persevere with my training activites even when my kness and back are feeling sore.
“I am determined to keep active and raise money for the charities.”