Letchworth’s food and drink festival is a big success every year – so why shouldn’t Baldock hold one too?
- Credit: Archant
That’s the question from the Baldock Events Forum that has prompted a massive online response this week.
People from all sections of the community have deemed a Baldock street food festival to be a great idea – and forum manager Richard Sell has called for anyone interested in running or getting involved in one to get in touch.
He told the Comet: “The forum talked to people over the weekend to get general feedback on events, and the food festival idea seemed the most popular by some way.
“Now we’re looking for a group of people to champion and organise a festival, and we’ll give all the support we can get it up and running – things like start-up funding and engagement with authorities like the council. All that ‘boring stuff’.
“Anyone interested in getting involved, please get in touch.”
You may also want to watch:
The forum’s marketing director Paul Calver added: “Any and all views welcome, if there’s enough support then we will look at the finer points. Both Hitchin and Letchworth host great food festivals – why not Baldock?
“We host some great events for a small town, and ever since I was asked to get involved with the events forum I’ve had this in the back of my mind. Hopefully we can make this a reality.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Baldock already has a calendar of events any town of its size would envy, including the annual Independent Beer Festival, Baldock Festival, Balstock charity music festival and more.
And the consensus on social media when Paul floated the idea on Tuesday night was overwhelmingly positive, with supporters for the food festival idea including Orange Tree pub landlord Rob Scahill and district councillor Michael Weeks, who posted it was a ‘brilliant idea’.
The Baldock Big Lunch, set for June 18 in the High Street, could be seen as a precursor to a street food festival. Tickets are available from the community centre, the White Lion pub and the Taste café.
Letchworth’s Food & Drink Festival is just over a week away, with all sorts of goodies and fun in the garden city’s town centre from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday, May 27 and 28.
To have your say on the idea of a food festival for Baldock or to get involved, email the Baldock Events Forum at firstname.lastname@example.org.