Letchworth rocks with power of percussion as kids join street drumming show
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth town centre rocked with the power of percussion as a duo of energetic street drummers made beats on their homemade drum kit – assisted by kids who had made their own shakers.
The Make-a-Shaker craft workshop and Bang On! show at the Garden Square Shopping Centre hit all the right notes, with recycled bins, plastic bottles and much more turned into musical instruments.
Dozens of kids made their own colourful shakers during the craft workshop on Wednesday with the help of the Crafty Crew, directed by Karina Shearing.
Karina said: “Children derive many important benefits from the opportunity of working with arts and crafts projects. Workshops like this allow them to explore their imagination, express themselves boldly and develop their own individual style.
“We had a great time at Garden Square helping children create some musical masterpieces.”
You may also want to watch:
The next day, the kids were invited back with their shakers to join in the Bang On! outdoor musical show, delivered by freestyle percussionists Katie Stephenson and Dave Smith.
The audience were among other things invited to join in using an old trouser hanger that creaked and a dog toy that squeaked, all the rhythm of Katie and Dave’s drumming.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 9 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
The show was a big hit with youngsters and shoppers alike.
Garden Square manager Jack Philbin said: “We are delighted to be hosting a series of exciting events and shows for Letchworth residents over the summer period.
“We’ve had a great response to all the activities so far, both on the day and online, and look forward to hosting more events throughout the year as part of our kids’ club.”
Free events coming up at Garden Square include the Jump for Joy event tomorrow, Wednesday, when children can defy gravity on a bungee trampoline reaching heights of over eight metres.