Letchworth resident claims gritter lorries are damaging grass verges
- Credit: Archant
A resident has called for action on a road where he claims gritter lorries are damaging grass verges.
Gary Cox, who lives in Gaunts Way, Letchworth GC, says he has witnessed gritter lorries driving on the grass verges on his street.
Hertfordshire County Council’s (HCC) winter maintenance service is coordinated across the county by road maintenance contractor Ringway, with staff on 24-hour stand-by during the season.
Gaunts Way is a ‘salting route’ used by lorries that spread grit on the town’s roads.
“There has been indiscriminate driving from the gritter lorries that travel along Gaunts Way,” said Mr Cox.
“They use the grass as a run-up when driving which is tearing up the verges outside our houses. This then leaves a lot of mud and slurry which is sprayed onto cars and makes the place look a mess. There are other larger vehicles that drive through the area such as fire engines and dustmen but they don’t seem to use the verges, or if they do it is very rarely.
“I have been told by HCC it is a low priority issue due to the flooding across the county. Myself and other residents have been filling in the holes ourselves to try and sort it out but the lorries just drive over it again. The road either needs to be widened or a barrier put up.”
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 6 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
- 7 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 8 National award for Hitchin property company
- 9 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 10 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
Matthew Kelley, Ringway divisional manager, working on behalf of HCC, said: “We are aware of the issues on Gaunts Way.
“Unfortunately, due to the width of the road and the number of parked cars it is sometimes necessary for HGVs, including our gritters, to use the grass verge. This is especially true during the night when there are more parked cars as this is when our gritters are normally at work.
“Alongside Hertfordshire County Council, we are considering options of how to mitigate this issue both on Gaunts Way and elsewhere in the county while ensuring that safety of road users is prioritised by delivering an effective gritting programme.”