Letchworth Premier Inn team address parking concerns in town
- Credit: Archant
The team behind a £5 million proposal to bring a Premier Inn to Letchworth have reached an agreement with the Heritage Foundation for their customers to use The Wynd car park behind the site.
After concerns were raised during February’s consultation that the 57-bedroom hotel on Station Road would place an additional parking burden on the town, the hoteliers have responded by saying the majority of customers will be using public transport to travel.
A Premier Inn spokesman said: “Several responses to our consultation have highlighted Letchworth’s current level of car parking as a potential issue.
“Our plans do not include car parking on the site.
“As the proposed site is in a town centre location that is in close proximity to the railway station a large number of our customers will be using public transport to travel.
You may also want to watch:
“Customers that use cars to travel will often be arriving and leaving outside of core business hours when significant car parking capacity in Letchworth is available.
“We have been in discussion with the Heritage Foundation and an agreement has been reached for our customers to use The Wynd car park directly behind our proposed site.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
“This car park has significant capacity for overnight parking.”
Jenny Jones, who owns the Green House Community Market on Station Road, said: “The Wynd’s one main attraction is the car parking.
“Many people venture down to our end of town, just because of it. If the hotel users park there, where will the shoppers we have at the moment go?”
The Premier Inn team are reviewing all of the feedback received alongside the Heritage Foundation, before updating and submitting their final plans to North Herts District Council ‘in spring’.
You can still provide feedback by calling 08081 688296, emailing email@example.com or visiting www.premierinnletchworth.co.uk.