Letchworth pair set to walk along Great Wall of China for Alzheimer’s Society raise £410 at fundraising disco
- Credit: Archant
A pair of Letchworth fundraisers who are set to walk 70km along the Great Wall of China for charity later this year have raised £410 for the cause with a fancy dress ‘70s and ‘80s disco.
Sue Hutchinson and Lissa McGown – collectively Team Trekspiration – put on the evening at Letchworth Rugby Club last weekend.
They are due to walk along the Great Wall for six days in October to raise £10,000 for the Alzheimer’s Society.
“Around 80 friends and family swaggered in, and the outfits ranged from hippies to psychedelic tutus and leggings,” said Sue, 46.
“We held a raffle with some very generous donations from members of the local community who had heard about our trek in China this October.
You may also want to watch:
“We’d like to thank everyone who came, as well as the rugby club, our DJ Kevin and all who have sponsored us so far.”
Sue and Lissa will be taking part in a 5k colour run in Milton Keynes next Saturday to improve their fitness levels.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“I have never felt so passionately about something as I do this trek and the fundraising,” said Sue.
“So many people are affected by this disease, including loved ones of my close friends. This will be a tough challenge, but it’s nothing compared to what those with dementia are going through every day.”
The pair’s next charity event, a screening of The Notebook at the Orange Tree in Baldock, is planned for June 30.