Letchworth man proposes after playing the ‘most nerve-racking game of hangman’ on Cambridge green
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth woman was hanging on every word before her now fiancé popped the question in his own novel way.
Raj Sahota plucked up the courage on Saturday to ask Rachel Pipe to marry him – after spelling it out with a game of Hangman.
The 30-year-old took Rachel to Jesus Green in Cambridge to propose, after a special trip their last year for her birthday surprise.
The couple first met in 2011 through Christchurch Baldock, but got to know each other better through a Bible study group in Letchworth two years later.
“I chose to propose to her with hangman because we’d had fun playing it a lot, and because I wanted to do something different,” said Raj, of Pasture Road in Letchworth.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d been planning it for a few months, and the more I dwelled on the idea the more it made sense – and also the hangman letter slots worked out perfectly with eight spaces to fit in ‘MARRY ME’.
“It was the most nerve-racking game of hangman I’ve ever played! But thankfully she didn’t guess the phrase, which I revealed before getting down on one knee.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
Rachel, 27, who lives in Broadcroft, said: “I was quite surprised because Raj kept teasing me by saying he’d propose in about three to four years. I kind of knew he was teasing but still didn’t expect him to do it this soon. I thought it was sweet and lovely he asked the question with hangman.”
The couple haven’t set a wedding date, but are considering tying the knot in September next year.