Man arrested after police officer assaulted in Letchworth Tesco incident
- Credit: Archant
A 26-year-old man has been arrested after allegedly assaulting a police officer and causing criminal damage in Letchworth this afternoon.
Police officers were called to Tesco Express in Middlefields, Letchworth at 3.14pm today.
A man had entered the store and was allegedly involved in an altercation with customers and staff.
Several items were damaged, including a number of vehicles in the car park.
The 26-year-old, who is from Letchworth, was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage, assault and assaulting a police officer. He was taken to hospital, where he will later be transferred to custody.
You may also want to watch:
Herts Police say multiple units were called to the scene as a precaution but the incident was quickly brought under control.
Witnesses are being encouraged to call 101, quoting ISR 480 of 23 December, if they have any information that could help with the investigation.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
Alternatively, you can anonymously contact the independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or through their online form at crimestoppers-uk.org.