Landlord must pay £5,000 over safety failings at fire-hit Letchworth home
- Credit: Archant
A landlord has been slapped with a bill for more than £5,000 after he admitted safety failings at a fire-hit Letchworth house.
The fire on November 6 last year, at a Chiltern View property rented by Connors to several tenants, caused major damage – but nobody was injured.
Lawrence Connors, of Hitchin Road in Arlesey, admitted failing to comply with fire safety regulations when he appeared before Stevenage magistrates.
North Herts District Council brought the prosecution after its environmental health team, working with firefighters, discovered no fire safety measures had been put in place at the property.
An emergency prohibition order was served to stop the building from being reoccupied due to the safety risk.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates chaired by David McDonald fined 36-year-old Connors £3,500, and ordered him to pay £1,407.29. He must also pay £120 surcharge, making a total bill of £5,027.29.
Councillor Bernard Lovewell, who is responsible for housing and environmental health at the district council, said: “It is vital that landlords make sure that all fire safety measures are put in place when renting out a property.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
“It is extremely fortunate that no-one was hurt as a result of the fire at the property.
“Neglecting to do this not only puts tenants at serious risk but also breaks the law, and I hope this prosecution sends out a message to all landlords that they must take their responsibilities seriously.”