Letchworth lady celebrates 100th birthday at weekend, ahead of second party this week
- Credit: Archant
An elder stateswoman of Letchworth is celebrating her 100th birthday this month with two birthday parties and hopes she will hear from her favourite singer Daniel O’Donnell.
Iris Fredricka Pompey was born on November 22 1917 in the Parish of St Johns. Waterloo on the island of Grenada. She was the ninth of 11 children.
Living up to – or past – 100 years old is something that seemingly runs in the family, with her mother living to 105 and he brother to 95.
Iris is also a big fan of Irish singer Daniel O’Donnell, who sent her a card for her 90th birthday. This year, Joan plans to put in a request for him to get in touch with one of his biggest fans again.
Iris is still active in the community and is in good health, with only her hearing on the decline.
You may also want to watch:
She has eight children, 19 grandchildren, 31 great-grandchildren and 10 great-great-grandchildren, with another on the way.
Her daughter Joan told the Comet: “She’s had a very fun life, having fun with all her brothers and sisters. She told me that she wishes her mum was still alive to see it.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 7 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
“We were always well looked after growing up. Nothing has changed, the family is still together and although she’s still active we give her the support she needs. We’re so blessed to have her still around with us.
“She’s a giver, she’s so caring. If anything happened shes always there to pick you up. She gives you confidence, motivation and she’s a friend.”
In 1977, Iris joined Joan in the UK at the age of 60 after her own mother passed away, and has resided in Letchworth since.
She has been an avid member of the Catholic church since she was very young and used to attend with her mother in Grenada. Her daughter says her mother’s kind, giving nature stems from her faith.
Before moving to Macfadyen Webb House in Norton Way North, Iris lived in Hamonte on the Jackmans Estate.
The first party which took place on Saturday in Hitchin are several friends and family members from America, Canada, New Zealand and the Carribean and West Indies. Charge d’affaires for Grenada Samuel Sandy will also attend.
The second of her birthday parties is tomorrow and being held at the sheltered accommodation where she lives, and is being thrown by nurses and staff.