Letchworth park arson investigation after kiosk set on fire again
- Credit: Archant
The kiosk at Howard Park in Letchworth has been vandalised for the second time in two weeks, with an appeal for witnesses to come forward launched today.
Vandals set fire to the kiosk shutters and a bin next to it on Thursday.
Fire services were alerted at 7pm and attended to extinguish the fire. Police were also called and, along with officers from North Herts District Council, are working to track down those responsible.
A police spokeswoman said: “Between 6pm and 6.30pm on November 8, a bin was set alight outside the Howard Park ice cream and toilet unit. The offenders also attempted to set fire to the shutters on the ice-cream stand before making off.”
Councillor David Barnard, NHDC’s executive member for leisure, said: “There is no excuse for this kind of selfish behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
“Such thoughtless actions have an effect on those who use the park as well as the tax payer who ultimately ends up paying.
“If you witnessed anything, please contact the police.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
This is the second time the shutter for the kiosk has been targeted, having been set on fire two weeks ago.
Anyone with information about the latest incident should contact police on 101, quoting crime reference 4154259/18.