Letchworth hospice’s plea for male marshals to light the way
A HOSPICE is appealing for men to volunteer as marshals during a night-time charity walk.
This year’s Starlight Walk, organised by Garden House Hospice and backed by the Comet, will see hundreds of women take to the streets in Letchworth GC on Saturday, September 8.
Organisers from the hospice, which supports patients with a terminal diagnosis in North Herts and Stevenage, are keen for men to line the streets along the six-mile and 10-mile route to cheer them on and this year they need more than ever.
The annual fundraiser is now in its fourth year but for the first time the streets will be in relative darkness as street lights are switched off between midnight and 6pm in a cost-saving measure by Hertfordshire County Council.
Jo Wiffen, community fundraiser for the hospice, said: “This year, after midnight the ladies will be walking along some pavements without street lighting. We have ‘tested’ the route and will be doing everything we can to ensure they feel safe – this includes giving them all torches that have been sponsored by BBW Law.
You may also want to watch:
“However we would like to recruit additional marshals to help them navigate these parts of the walk. Please contact me if you are interested, we can guarantee you a rewarding and enjoyable evening.”
To offer your help or for more information please contact Jo Wiffen on 01462 679540 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 Stevenage 'miles better' but have to be more ruthless in front of goal says Revell
- 10 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
There is still time to register for this year’s Starlight Walk – to enter, fill in the form by clicking on the link at the top right of the page.