Letchworth hit-and-run joyrider, 23, banned from the road after young woman injured and trapped in car
- Credit: Archant
A hit-and-run joyrider who smashed into two cars while careering through Letchworth has been banned from the road for a year and a half.
Dimash Mendis, of Valley Road in Letchworth, admitted to St Albans magistrates that he had taken a
Ford Focus without permission on April 8 this year, without a driving licence or insurance, and failed to stop or identify himself after crashing into two cars in Green Lane.
Jess Adrien, 24, was injured and trapped in her Vauxhall Corsa for two hours after 22-year-old Mendis rear-ended it.
A Mercedes in front of Jess’ Corsa was also damaged as a result of the crash, after which Mendis, who is now 23, did a three-point turn and sped away.
The Focus was recovered by police a day later in nearby Pascal Way.
Magistrates ordered Mendis to pay £440 in fines, a £30 victim surcharge and £85 in prosecution costs – a total of £555.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
He is barred from holding or obtaining a driving licence for 18 months.