Letchworth Greenway Day in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support attracts folks of all ages for a ride or a stride
- Credit: Archant
Cyclists, walkers and runners of all ages and abilities came together in Letchworth last Sunday for the first ever Greenway Day.
Organised by Active Letchworth, the event aimed to get folks enjoying activities at different locations around the 13.6-mile route.
The day kicked off at 11am and went on until 2pm, and a raffle drawn at Standalone Farm raised about £100 for the Heritage Foundation’s chosen charity of the year, Macmillan Cancer Support.
“We wanted to get people out on the Greenway to show them what a great resource it is for keeping active,” said Active Letchworth project lead Helen Macfarlane.
“Those who hadn’t used it before were very impressed, and we spoke to dozens of families who are keen to make it part of their weekly routine and take part in future events.
You may also want to watch:
“We had great support from Herts County Council and Trisports to make the event happen, and several local businesses donated fantastic prizes for our raffle.”
Visitors to the Greenway on the day may also have seen the buggy-pushers of the NCT, who were doing 5km to raise funds for new parents living with mental health issues.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 7 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 10 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
On their return to the Garden City Montessori School, the walkers had fun with the big yellow duck from Puddleducks and a barbecue.