Letchworth garden face lift firm set for next renovation challenge
- Credit: Archant
A kind-hearted company is planning its next goodwill venture after transforming an MS sufferer’s garden last year.
Specialist painting firm Just Spray was the driving force behind the project to spruce up the prized patch for former water engineer Lee Gibbs.
Just Spray owner Lee Hodgkins, who went to school with MS sufferer Lee, worked alongside other local businesses to push through the £12,000 facelift in Letchworth.
His garden was completely stripped back, levelled out and re-turfed, with a play area built for Lee’s daughter.
Lee Hodgkins, who took time off work to get stuck in to the project, said: “It was hard work, it was a massive task.
You may also want to watch:
“We said that we’d do another project every year, which we are committed to doing.
“I’m trying to get other companies to follow suit.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“If people did more things like this for others, it would make the town a better place.”
The painting company owner was crowned Comet Community Hero of the month in July last year along with co-owner Martin Francis for the pair’s good work.
Sadly Lee, who was a keen football player and loved to keep active, is back in hospital after suffering from a recurring virus.
Lee Hodgkins said: “My heart really goes out to him, being the same age and having a young family.”
The 29-year-old is planning his next project for July this year and the firm is open to suggestions for project ideas from Comet readers. It could be anything from another garden task, a home improvements job, or decoration work.
Lee said: “It could be as wide ranging as helping an elderly individual, to decorating for a community group.”
The Letchworth-based firm is also looking for volunteers and is reaching out to local businesses who can donate any materials for the refurbishment.
You can find out more about the project and how to submit suggestions by visiting Just Spray’s website www.justspray.co.uk and clicking ‘Good Cause Project – July 2015.’