Letchworth family to hold charity Asian meal for the community this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth family is to serve up samosas, cakes and more for the community this weekend in aid of children’s hospital care.
Shabana Ali and her family are holding the meal from 3pm to 6pm this Sunday at the St Michael’s Church parish hall off Broadway Gardens.
Entry costs £2 each, with proceeds going to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
Shabana told the Comet: “This is a charitable event for all the community, as well as a post-celebration of the Eid Muslim festival that was in June.
“With the fire in London and how the community was so close together, it made me realise that while in Letchworth we’re quite close, we don’t really share that much.
“I wanted to bring everybody together and help raise a bit of awareness about what’s going on around the world – the children that suffer, it’s really upsetting.
“I just said to all my family, we need to do something – raise some money for charity, that sort of thing.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 3 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 4 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 5 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 6 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 9 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 10 Stevenage fun day in aid of TRACKS Autism
“It’s all Asian food like samosas, onion bhajis and all that. My sister-in-law’s making some cakes.
“I thought that if I can do this, then maybe someone else can take the message on board as well, and we can really accomplish something.”
There will also be henna tattoos, face-painting, music and a raffle on Sunday, as well as a portrait photo studio from Reel MODE.
To find out more, give Shabana’s son Saud a call on 07725 762887.