Letchworth doctor runs for charity close to his heart
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth doctor will be running for a charity close to his heart at the weekend, joined by members of his family.
Dr Peter Gough, a GP at Birchwood Surgery in Nevells Road, is taking on the British 10k London Run this Sunday to raise money and awareness for Herts-based charity Khandel Light.
Dr Gough helped set up the charity – which helps improve the lives of disadvantaged people in Rajasthan, India – in 2000, following a trip to the country during which he was struck by the scale of the poverty.
For the run he will be accompanied by members of his family including his wife Bridget, sons Richard, James and Edward, and pregnant daughter-in-law Elle.
“I will definitely be the ‘weakest link’ in Team Gough – the last time I ran in a race was the 100m at school,” said Dr Gough, who is the charity’s chairman of trustees.
“We feel passionately about the charity and the tremendous opportunities we are able to give to the community of 35,000 people in Rajasthan thanks to the generosity of the people supporting us.”
His son Richard added: “This is the first event where most of the family have been able to come together to raise money for Khandel Light and we’re all excited! We hope to raise a few hundred, but more importantly raise awareness for the cause.”
- 1 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 2 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 3 Former Stevenage swimmer 'buzzing' to compete in Commonwealth Games
- 4 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
To sponsor the family, visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/Gough6.