Letchworth doctor runs for charity close to his heart
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth doctor will be running for a charity close to his heart at the weekend, joined by members of his family.
Dr Peter Gough, a GP at Birchwood Surgery in Nevells Road, is taking on the British 10k London Run this Sunday to raise money and awareness for Herts-based charity Khandel Light.
Dr Gough helped set up the charity – which helps improve the lives of disadvantaged people in Rajasthan, India – in 2000, following a trip to the country during which he was struck by the scale of the poverty.
For the run he will be accompanied by members of his family including his wife Bridget, sons Richard, James and Edward, and pregnant daughter-in-law Elle.
“I will definitely be the ‘weakest link’ in Team Gough – the last time I ran in a race was the 100m at school,” said Dr Gough, who is the charity’s chairman of trustees.
“We feel passionately about the charity and the tremendous opportunities we are able to give to the community of 35,000 people in Rajasthan thanks to the generosity of the people supporting us.”
His son Richard added: “This is the first event where most of the family have been able to come together to raise money for Khandel Light and we’re all excited! We hope to raise a few hundred, but more importantly raise awareness for the cause.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
To sponsor the family, visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/Gough6.