Letchworth council could be abolished by December
A TOWN council could be abolished by the end of the year if district councillors decide tomorrow (Thursday) to launch a review into its future.
Members of North Hertfordshire District Council (NHDC) will meet to discuss whether to conduct, delay or decline a request by Letchworth Garden City Council to conduct a Community Governance Review (CGR).
If a review is undertaken, the town council, in which 21 of the 24 councillors represent Help Eliminate Letchworth Parish council (HELP), could be dissolved in December if there is clear and sustained local support for abolition.
The CGR, which would be completed prior to scheduled town council elections in May 2013, would include a public consultation asking the electorate if they are in favour of the town council being dissolved.
Letchworth Garden City Council chairman Cllr Frank Lovett said: “In line with the resolutions passed at the previous two town council meetings, the town council has asked NHDC to carry out a Community Governance Review with a view to the dissolution of the town council. All the town council polls and elections from 2008 onwards have shown that this is what the majority of Letchworth residents want.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sue Johnson, one of two representatives of the Town Council Supporters Party, said: “As one of only two town councillors not part of HELP I have fought for the rights of Letchworth people. Now, however, whether HELP succeed in robbing Letchworth of its autonomy is in the hands of townspeople. If we want to hold on to this we all need to say so, loud and clear.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright