Letchworth community shines together for Garden House Hospice Care’s Starlight Walk
- Credit: Archant
Garden House Hospice Care’s annual Starlight Walk saw glowing participants walk through the night in memory of loved ones.
Almost 300 people turned up to shine bright for the night-time walk on Saturday, with many walkers taking part in memory of a loved one, for a personal challenge or for fun – with all of them showing support for Garden House Hospice Care.
The walk started at North Herts Leisure Centre in Letchworth at the earlier time of 9pm, with the six-mile circular route also finishing at the leisure centre.
One incredible starlight walker was Hayley Dudderidge, who acheived her goal of walking the last mile with assistance from her daughter Lola, carer David and hospice nurse Gill Hughes.
Hayley said: “It was wonderful and uplifting experience, staff and volunteers were exceptional, kind and supportive.“
You may also want to watch:
Events manager Sophie Bottazzi said: “It was a pleasure to manage the Starlight Walk as my first event for the hospice.
“It was wonderful to meet so many of the community, with some really getting into the spirit in their colourful outfits.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
“We would like to ask our fabulous walkers and sponsors to dig deep, and help us reach our £35,000 target for hospice care.
“Next year will be the 10th Starlight Walk so we will be asking to the community again to come out and shine for us.”
Staff at the hospice wanted to give special recognition both the walkers and the volunteers and marshals who ensured participants’ safety en route.
They would also like thank North Herts Leisure, LV, Sainsbury’s Letchworth, Tesco, Waitrose Stevenage, Aztek Logistics and all other businesses who gave up their time and equipment to help make the event a success.
For more information about Garden House Hospice Care, see ghhospicecare.org.uk.