Letchworth care home residents evacuated after chemical spill

ELDERLEY residents at a Letchworth GC care home have been evacuated after a chemical spill inside the building this afternoon (Thursday).

The emergency services were alerted to an incident at The White House residential home in Gillison Close at 1.50pm and had to move 62 people to another part of the building because of the spill.

A total of 11 people were treated by paramedics for eye irritation.

Four firefighters entered the building using breathing apparatus to tackle the noxious substance, believed to be cleaning fluid, and were decontaminated when exiting as a precaution.

The building is now being ventilated by high pressure fans and residents should be able to return shortly.

A number of fire engines, police and ambulances were all on stand-by during the incident and Gillison Close is still shut, although it is expected to reopen shortly.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter