Letchworth building firm speaks of shock after rogue traders fleece elderly women out of thousands of pounds
- Credit: Archant
A family-run building firm which has been operating in Letchworth for more than 35 years has spoken of its shock after rogue traders fleeced two elderly women out of thousands of pounds.
Police issued a warning last week after women in Hitchin and Letchworth were approached by a man falsely claiming to be from Works Road-based builders DB Sharp & Sons.
They managed to get away with more than £6,500 after telling their two victims they needed work done on their roofs.
Since receiving the calls from the two women about their experience, the team have been working with the police and delivering leaflets around the town advising people about the dangers of rogue traders on your doorstep.
They also plan to contact the two ladies involved to inspect their roofs, and if work needs to be undertaken, they will do it free of charge.
You may also want to watch:
Estimator Jack Sharp, whose grandad Derek and uncle Martin set up the firm in 1979, said: “When we were called by each lady caught up in this scam we were shocked and angry that our name had been used to commit such a horrendous crime, not really understanding why anyone would want to do this to an elderly lady.
“We contacted the police for both ladies and were pro-active in trying to get the message across to the community to never pay anyone on your doorstep or let anyone in your home if you do not know them.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 8 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 9 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 10 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
“We have also spoken to each of the ladies to reassure them and help them.
“If you need building work then our advice is to always contact the companies yourself and acquire a range of quotes, before making any decisions and then parting with money at agreed stage payments.”
Brothers David, Martin and Richard Sharp are the directors of the company, while Jack and his cousin Ross – who is an electrical apprentice – provide the third generation of the team.
“Over the years we have gained a high reputation in the area for the quality and efficiency of our work we have provided,” Jack added.
“My dad David, along with the help of his two brothers, has grown the company which now undertakes large projects and developments.
“As we have grown we have kept our core values of quality, efficiency and customer care which have helped us to build a very strong and trustworthy name.”
Anyone with information about the incidents, which took place last month, or who has experienced something similar, should pass on details to the police using non-emergency number 101.