Murdered MP Jo Cox remembered at Great Get Together in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
The Letchworth and Baldock Labour Party came together with members of the community on Saturday as part of the Great Get Together in memory of murdered MP Jo Cox.
Jo Cox, who was Labour MP for Batley and Spen in Yorkshire, was shot and stabbed to death in June 2016 by far-right terrorist Thomas Mair.
Jo believed that “we have more in common than that which divides us” – which was the spirit of the get-together at the Howard Garden Social Centre, which welcomed all for cake and refreshments.
Councillor Helen Oliver, who represents Letchworth Grange, said: “It’s wonderful to come together to remember Jo Cox in a joyful way, focusing on all we have in common and sharing a cuppa and slice of homemade cake.
“We’re grateful to everyone who donated or baked, from members to a local shopkeeper. We’re also grateful to everyone who came to join us on the day.”
You may also want to watch:
All leftover packaged cakes and biscuits were donated to the Letchworth Foodbank, which also serves Baldock and Hitchin.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess