Letchworth and Baldock MP given new role in Cabinet reshuffle
AN MP from Comet country says he is “absolutely delighted” at being appointed as the Solicitor General following a Cabinet reshuffle today (Tuesday).
Oliver Heald, MP for North East Hertfordshire, will replace Edward Garnier as the deputy to the Attorney General Dominic Grieve, and will exercise his powers in his absence.
Prime Minister David Cameron made the announcement at the House of Commons this morning that Mr Heald – a barrister for more than 20 years – will be one of the Government’s law officers, who advise the Crown and Cabinet on law.
Reacting to the news, Mr Heald, who represents residents in Letchworth GC, Baldock and the surrounding villages, said: “It came out of the blue but I’m absolutely delighted to be one of the law officers.
“I’m really looking forward to the opportunity but I will still continue to put the interests of my constituents in North East Herts first.”
You may also want to watch:
Alistair Burt, MP for North East Bedfordshire, will remain in his role of Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn