Letchworth 20-year-old’s sudden death caused by dysfunctional immune system
A CORONER investigating the death of a 20-year-old woman who died suddenly in her bed has recorded a verdict of natural causes.
An inquest into the death of Tara Morgan was held today (Tuesday), after she was found dead at her home in Abbotts Road, Letchworth GC, in September last year.
Speaking at Hatfield Coroner’s Court, deputy coroner Graham Danbury described the situation when Tara was found dead by her two brothers, James and Aaron, on Sunday, September 4, 2011.
He said: “There was no response when she was called a few times. Both of her brothers went to get her up and they found her in bed. The ambulance service arrived but were unable to revive Tara, who was pronounced dead on their arrival and probably had been for some time.”
The former Woolgrove and The Valley school pupil was taken to Lister Hospital where her death was recorded.
Dr Rajiv Swamy, consultant pathologist for the North and East Hertfordshire Trust, said her death was probably caused by a dysfunctional immune system, after Tara had been unwell for a couple of weeks prior to her death.
Tara, who was born with a learning disability, had a history of headaches, muscle aches, joint pains and a bloating of the abdomen.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
“There is a history of being unwell for some time without a proper robust reason,” said Dr Swamy.
He also said a toxicology revealed that fluid had gathered in fluid sacs in the lungs, with white blood cells and blood found.
“A parasitic infection would have triggered an allergic reaction and this is probably the reason we had a lot of white cells,” said Dr Swamy.
He added that Tara’s death could be related to chronic fatigue syndrome, a disorder defined by persistent fatigue.
Tara’s mother, Amanda Lovering, sobbed during the inquest and said “I could have stopped it” after hearing about the presence of lice.
But responding, Dr Swamy said: “I want to reassure you that with the lice infection the body did respond to it appropriately. I do not believe that was the direct cause of her death.
“It has affected the immune system but that had been dysfunctional for quite some time. I’m at a loss other than this possibility to explain what happened to your daughter.”
Summing up, Mr Danbury said: “This is a case of something in the body going wrong over quite some time. In the light of what Dr Swamy has told us, I will record a verdict in respect to the death of Tara as respiratory and cardiac arrest due to autonomic neuropathy.”
Tara, an avid Luton Town supporter, had been studying child care at North Hertfordshire College at the time of her death.