League 1 round-up
- Credit: Kevin Coleman
Port Vale sack defender, while Walsall boss gives up on play-offs
Port Vale have sacked Daniel Jones.
The club announced today (Monday) that the defender’s contract, which has a year left to run, had been terminated.
It follows an alleged training ground altercation with team-mate and captain Doug Long.
After Saturday’s 4-2 defeat to Notts County, Vale boss Micky Adams revealed that the facial injury sustained by Loft is likely to keep him out for the rest of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Walsall manager Dean Smith has given up on his side making the League 1 play-offs.
The Saddlers’ 1-0 defeat at home to Bristol City on Saturday leaves them 11 points off sixth place with four games to go.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 9 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
According to the Football League website, Smith said: “We are not going to make the play-offs now, and that’s disappointing, and it’s disappointing to be beaten at home after controlling the game.”
Sheffield United manager Nigel Clough says he hopes his side’s showing in their FA Cup semi-final defeat to Hull City will spur them on to future success.
The League 1 side, who host Stevenage on Friday, were beaten 5-3 at Wembley on Sunday, with Clough telling the BBC: “We want to keep the form and feel good atmosphere around the place.”