League 1 round-up
- Credit: Kevin Coleman
Port Vale sack defender, while Walsall boss gives up on play-offs
Port Vale have sacked Daniel Jones.
The club announced today (Monday) that the defender’s contract, which has a year left to run, had been terminated.
It follows an alleged training ground altercation with team-mate and captain Doug Long.
After Saturday’s 4-2 defeat to Notts County, Vale boss Micky Adams revealed that the facial injury sustained by Loft is likely to keep him out for the rest of the season.
Walsall manager Dean Smith has given up on his side making the League 1 play-offs.
The Saddlers’ 1-0 defeat at home to Bristol City on Saturday leaves them 11 points off sixth place with four games to go.
- 1 Wire damage disrupts Great Northern trains between Hitchin and Peterborough
- 2 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 3 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 4 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 5 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 6 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 7 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 8 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
According to the Football League website, Smith said: “We are not going to make the play-offs now, and that’s disappointing, and it’s disappointing to be beaten at home after controlling the game.”
Sheffield United manager Nigel Clough says he hopes his side’s showing in their FA Cup semi-final defeat to Hull City will spur them on to future success.
The League 1 side, who host Stevenage on Friday, were beaten 5-3 at Wembley on Sunday, with Clough telling the BBC: “We want to keep the form and feel good atmosphere around the place.”