Launch of neighbourhood watch scheme for youngsters
A NEIGHBOURHOOD watch scheme for 11 to 15-year-olds has been launched. The Community Crew is an initiative in Stevenage that has been created to encourage youngsters to become more involved in their community. Young people are asked to report abandoned
A NEIGHBOURHOOD watch scheme for 11 to 15-year-olds has been launched.
The Community Crew is an initiative in Stevenage that has been created to encourage youngsters to become more involved in their community.
Young people are asked to report abandoned vehicles, broken glass, graffiti and other examples of environmental damage in a bid to help make Stevenage a cleaner and safer neighbourhood.
The scheme was officially launched by town MP Barbara Follett and is funded by Stevenage Borough Council and Neighbourhood Watch.
You may also want to watch:
There are strict rules to help protect the youngsters and ensure they are not put in any danger.
Executive councillor for community safety Bob Clark said: "We believe this is a great way for young people to make a positive contribution to their community.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
"By including residents in community safety issues from a young age, not only will they encourage their parents to get involved, but they are also more likely to continue to take an interest when they become adults themselves."
As part of the initiative members of the crew will have the opportunity to write their own newsletter and a website has been set up for people to find out more information about the scheme.
If you would like to join, ring 01438 242990, textphone 01438 242555 or visit www.communitycrew.org