Last Word: Get off Christmas merry-go-round and get creative
WITH Christmas looming, the present-buying frenzy is in full flow – but it is not too late to take stock of your priorities, writes Louise McEvoy. Before you succumb entirely to the commercial side of the festive season, stop and think what is important a
WITH Christmas looming, the present-buying frenzy is in full flow - but it is not too late to take stock of your priorities, writes Louise McEvoy.
Before you succumb entirely to the commercial side of the festive season, stop and think what is important at Christmas - family, friends, good health and happiness. None of these things cost any money.
With the country in recession and families struggling to make ends meet, the cost of Christmas will undoubtedly panic many, and a lot of people will be hammering the plastic to pay for presents they cannot afford.
But Christmas gifts do not have to be pricey to be appreciated, and they can even cost nothing.
You may also want to watch:
Instead of joining other stressed out shoppers set on buying those pre-packaged and impersonal gift sets, why not put some thought into your gift-giving and make your presents - at least for the adults anyway?
Some ideas to give you a creative kick-start include making jam, cookies, Christmas cakes, candles, soaps, cushions, fruit liqueurs, corkboards, or calendars.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
There are plenty of other ideas on the internet, along with instructions on how to make various gifts. Just get off the shopping merry-go-round and get Googling.
You could save yourself a small fortune, and ensure you don't begin the New Year in monetary misery.