Lack of midfielders worries Boro boss
Boro boss Graham Westley admits he is facing a major problem in midfield ahead of tonight s do-or-die play-off clash against Cambridge United. The 40-year-old has just two recognised central midfielders in the form of Gary Mills and Peter Vincenti as i
Boro boss Graham Westley admits he is facing "a major problem" in midfield ahead of tonight's do-or-die play-off clash against Cambridge United.
The 40-year-old has just two recognised central midfielders in the form of Gary Mills and Peter Vincenti as injuries and suspensions start to take their toll on the squad at this crucial stage of the season.
David Bridges and Andy Drury are likely to miss the rest of the league season while Darren Murphy starts a three-match ban after his sending off at Kidderminster.
To make matters worse, Michael Bostwick also starts a two-game ban after picking up his 10th booking in the 2-0 win at York City while Ronnie Henry is likely to miss out thanks to a calf strain that forced him off against Kidderminster.
The one piece of good news is that Lawrie Wilson returns after completing an additional two-match ban for his dismissal against Histon in November for foul and abusive language.
But Westley admits he faces a selection headache ahead of the visit of Gary Brabin's men.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 5 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 9 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 10 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
"Let's be honest, Ronnie Henry going down, with Drury, and Bridges presents us with a major problem when you consider we'll have to also do without Bozzie (Bostwick) and Murphy.
"It's not a question of going to get a loan player because we can't do that. We have got a major problem in the middle of the park so we are going to have to fathom out a way of playing and we are going to have to pool our resources the best we can."
Westley will have to fit square pegs into round holes but feels confident his players will carry out whatever task set for them to the best of their ability.
"We're going to have to get players to do jobs that are not their normal jobs. That's not going to be easy for any of them but we've got players that give their all whatever they are asked to do and that's all I can ask of them.
"I just get a feeling from the camp that they will club together and it really wouldn't surprise me to see them put in a big performance.