Knights Templar School pupil wins chess tournament at Letchworth’s Pixmore Junior School
- Credit: Archant
Chess masters of the future went head to head in Letchworth in a tournament held at Pixmore Junior School.
The Pixmore Open, which has been held for the past six years, was a day-long challenge for 33 contestants, with winners eventually taking the honours in junior, intermediate, senior and elite senior sections.
“I think it went pretty well,” said organiser Tom Coates, who teaches after-school chess clubs at primary schools.
“It got a bit messy at the end when some sections had several tying for first place and we had to have some play-offs.
“That apart, the numbers were up on previous years, the weather was kind, and win, lose or draw, everyone was in good humour.”
You may also want to watch:
Phoebe Webb won the juniors, while Emma Lloyd won in the intermediates. Nevan Masterson was the senior winner, and Knights Templar School student Leon Collis was the elite senior champion.
Letchworth & Hitchin Chess Club volunteers staffed the tournament last Saturday.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home