Knife robbers jailed
Three thieves have been locked up for robbing Hitchin youngsters at knife point.
Louis Cowern, a 19-year-old from Kettering and two 17-year-olds from the same area, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were given custodial sentences after pleading guilty at Luton Crown Court to robbing four 15 and 16-year-olds in February.
The court was told that Cowern drove up behind the group at 10.30pm when the offenders got out armed with knives and a baseball bat. After threatening the group they stole jackets and mobile phones.
The robbers then went on to Higham Ferrers in Northamptonshire where they attacked a 16-year-old, who tried to escape, stealing his mobile phone and wallet.
This last victim made a note of the robber’s car registration number and reported it to the police. Two days later the car was stopped with the three offenders and their weapons inside.
You may also want to watch:
Cowern was sentenced to 12 months youth custody while the 17-year-olds were each given a 12 month detention and training order.
They were also each ordered to pay �500 in compensation to the victims.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
The prosecution said a fourth man involved in the crimes had not been caught.