Knebworth man flips his life to swap big city job for French ‘crepe escape’
- Credit: Archant
A Knebworth man has given up his high-pressure ‘macho’ city job to open a French crepe business and will be sponsoring this year’s village pancake race.
Daniel Winterbourne of Wadnall Way kissed goodbye to the City of London a month ago and hasn’t looked back since.
The 43-year-old has started up Just Suzette It, a mobile creperie business, and will cater his first event in Knebworth on Shrove Tuesday.
Daniel told the Comet: “I have always loved food and cooking, even though I have no professional experience. I started the business because I wanted to get my life back.
“I was leaving for work at 6am and not getting back until 8.30pm – I wasn’t getting to see my boys, my friends or live my life. I was just exhausted and thought: ‘This is not a life really’.”
The idea to open a pancake business came to Daniel before Christmas and was inspired his two sons. He had taken them to a festival in Devon and the two youngsters lived off crepes the whole weekend.
“It was all they wanted to eat,” he said. “And around Christmas time I realised that it was what I wanted to do too.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 3 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 4 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 7 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 8 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 9 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 10 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
“I used to own my own gardening business for more than a decade, but then left to help my brother set up a recruitment business.
“I will miss the money, but I want to be able to set my own timetables again.”
Daniel’s plan is to use high quality ingredients and cater for weddings and dinner parties.
He is also intending to go on a crepe making course in Brittany later this year to learn the art of making the perfect pancake.
His first event will be the Knebworth Pancake Race at the Recreation Ground on Tuesday.
The event runs from 11.15am to 1.45pm, with races from 12.30pm.
Pancakes will be supplied – all contestants have to do is bring a frying pan.
For more information contact Daniel on 07887 642143 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.