Knebworth House tours earn award for excellence
A PROGRAMME of tours for school children has won a stately home a top honour for excellence in education. In a ceremony last week at Edinburgh Castle, Knebworth House accepted the 2006 Sandford Award for its popular Tudor Treasure Trail activity days for
A PROGRAMME of tours for school children has won a stately home a top honour for excellence in education.
In a ceremony last week at Edinburgh Castle, Knebworth House accepted the 2006 Sandford Award for its popular Tudor Treasure Trail activity days for seven to 11-year-olds.
More than 5,000 school children each year go on one of the house's tours, which were developed through the Knebworth House Education and Preservation Trust.
A Victorian tour redeveloped in a similar style to the Tudor one is to be launched for the 2007 season following a successful trial this year.
You may also want to watch:
The award was accepted by Knebworth education officer Juliet Alexander, and David Morgan, chairman of Knebworth House Education and Preservation Trust.
Ms Alexander said: "It is hard to believe when you look at the ornate gothic facade of Knebworth House today that the building started life in 1490 as a red brick Tudor manor house.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
"Using first-hand source material from the structure and its extensive grounds, the Tudor Treasure Trail gives children and teachers the opportunity to search for clues to Knebworth's Tudor origins with a range of individual hands-on activities combined with cross-curricular problem-solving tasks to complete as a team."
The Sandford Awards, made annually through the Heritage Education Trust, are non-competitive and recognise the provision of excellence in education in and about historic sites.
For further details about Knebworth House, call the estate office on 01438 812661, or visit the website at www.knebworthhouse.com