Knebworth Golf Club raises funds to make ‘huge difference’ to Stevenage centre
- Credit: Archant
Members of a golf club have raised more than £18,000 to support a day centre for senior citizens.
The money has been raised for the Douglas Drive Day Centre in Stevenage throughout the year by members of Knebworth Golf Club, with events including coffee mornings, raffles and a charity golf day and auction.
The club’s captain Peter Gormley said the day centre was the club’s chosen charity for 2018 because the club host’s dinner for the centre’s staff, volunteers and clients every year.
Peter said the £18,346 raised included a number of generous donations and will “make such a huge difference” to the centre.
Douglas Drive Day Centre aims to enrich the social lives of senior citizens and help prevent isolation, and also offers a two-course meal for a nominal fee.
You may also want to watch:
It also provides a series of care groups, including speech therapy sessions for stroke survivors and people with Parkinson’s disease or MS.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term