Knebworth Facebook bid to save only pub in the village
- Credit: Archant
A group of concerned villagers have started a campaign to try to make sure their only village pub isn’t turned into homes.
Knebworth’s one pub, The Station, closed down on February 9 and is being sold by the Greene King brewery to developer Market Homes, based in Borehamwood.
Now villagers have banded together to form a Facebook group to try to save the building for the community.
Knebworth Parish Council has put in a successful application to have the building registered as an asset of community value, which was approved by North Hertfordshire District Council on February 8.
It means the new owners would have to submit a formal planning application if they want to demolish the pub and turn it into homes.
You may also want to watch:
The district council has yet to receive such an application.
When considering whether to grant permission to change the use of the pub, the district council will now have to consider its value to the community.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
If the new owners decided to sell the building, the community would have six weeks to put in a viable bid for it.
Knebworth Parish Council chairman Roger Willcocks said the council is offering its practical support to the Facebook campaign, which aims to bring forward support from members of the community.
He said: “It’s the only pub in Knebworth and as such it’s something we would prefer to retain.
“The hope is that the community group will be in a position to influence any decision the district council make about the pub in the future.
“One possibility is that the district council would deny permission to convert it, at which point the community should be in a position to bid for it.”
Mr Atkinson said the case is even more urgent as a number of other planning applications for homes are being tabled for the same area of Knebworth, including the former billiards factory.
To find the group, search for ‘Save the Station pub’ on Facebook.