World expert in robotic surgery operates at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital
- Credit: Archant
A world expert in robotic bladder cancer surgery has shared his skills and expertise with the urology team at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital.
Dr Karel Decaestecker, a top urologist at Ghent University Hospital in Belgium, was at Lister to work with East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust consultant Nikhil Vasdev and his urology team.
They performed two cystectomies and advanced urinary reconstruction techniques robotically on bladder cancer patients.
Dr Decaestecker has performed more than 500 robotic procedures, mostly on those with bladder cancer.
He said afterwards: “Both surgeries went very well and the patients have returned home already after a quick recovery. It was a great experience and I look forward to further collaboration in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Vasdev added “It was a pleasure to work with Dr Decaestecker and we will continue to work closely on a robotic surgery research project at the Lister, which is looking at using specialised blood tests to further improve post-operative recovery in patients undergoing robotic surgery.
“We are one of the only hospitals in the country that offers urinary diversion using advanced robotic techniques.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
“This technique benefits patients greatly, as it reduces blood loss during surgery and allows for shorter recovery times.”