Just eight weeks to go - now troubled North Herts Museum project is put on hold after contractor goes into administration
- Credit: Archant
The main contractor for the troubled North Herts Museum project has gone into voluntary liquidation just weeks before the scheduled completion of the scheme.
North Herts District Council confirmed is now in touch with the administrator for contractor LightBrigade and with the sub-contractors working on the museum fit out to work out what to do next.
Fitting out the museum, which is intended to create a single heritage base to replace museums in Hitchin and Letchworth, has been put on hold.
Councillor Tony Hunter, the council’s executive member for community engagement, said: “Of course this is an unfortunate blow to the project.
“However we are taking all necessary steps to get to a position where the works to the museum can start again.
You may also want to watch:
“With only around eight weeks of works outstanding, the end is in sight and we are confident that when open, the museum will be an outstanding facility.”
The scheduled May re-opening for Hitchin Town Hall, which occupies the same town centre site in Brand Street, is not affected.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
The museum is already behind schedule because of disputes between the council and a community interest company formed to oversee the Town Hall.
It was originally scheduled to open last year – three years after the previous museums in Hitchin and Letchworth closed their doors for the last time.