'Judas' Laird ready to represent England
Boro defender Scott Laird is set to line up for England C against Belgium tonight despite representing Scotland for most of his career so far. The former Plymouth man was surprisingly called up by England C boss Paul Fairclough after a string of impressi
Boro defender Scott Laird is set to line up for England C against Belgium tonight despite representing Scotland for most of his career so far.
The former Plymouth man was surprisingly called up by England C boss Paul Fairclough after a string of impressive performance towards the end of the season and he revealed his father's reaction to the news.
"It's a funny one. I rang my Dad and he called me Judas," joked Laird, who missed Boro's Trophy final win against York through suspension. "But seriously the family are all proud of me and it's a great opportunity.
"It's a great story to tell the grandchildren to say that I played for Scotland from Under-16s to Under-20s and then to play for England C. Not many people can say that they've done that."
You may also want to watch:
Fifteen members of the Boro squad have flown out to Vegas this week and Laird was planning on being in that party until his England call-up.
"I was all up for going to Vegas but I'm a young lad and there'll be plenty of chances to do stuff like that," he added. "This is a great chance for me and hopefully I can force my way into the team."
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Tonight's match is the final of the International Challenge Trophy, which the England side reached by virtue of topping their group.
The team, made up of players from the Blue Square Premier and below, beat Under-23 sides from Wales and Finland and drew with Italy.
Ronnie Henry, Michael Bostwick and Mitchell Cole were also called up to the squad but had to withdraw due to family commitments.
Boro new boy Joel Byrom could be involved and will be looking to impress after completing a �15,000 move to The Lamex Stadium from Northwich Victoria on Friday.