Journey to Mount Vernon Hospital a "misery"
WITH over 2,000 supporters, the campaign run by The Comet and Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland for better cancer care at Lister Hospital is really gaining momentum.
The campaign is backed by all the major political parties but we still need the support from our readers across Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.
At present patients have to endure an arduous journey to Mount Vernon Hospital, in Northwood, Middlesex, for treatment which a reader has been described as “an extra ordeal”.
Mrs A Dawkins said: “I fully support your campaign for a centre at the Lister Hospital for radiotherapy services.
“Although my husband, sadly no longer here, only had to go to Mount Vernon for three sessions as he was too ill to endure the normal four weeks of treatment, it was an extra ordeal to have to be up and out of bed and ready to go by eight in the morning.”
Another letter sent to The Comet by Helene Rampley, who had to make the journey to receive treatment for breast cancer said: “I went by ambulance back and forth to Mount Vernon for weeks.
“The traffic at South Mimms was horrific daily and eventually I had a neighbour’s husband helping me survive the journey.
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 7 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Village football club premises gets facelift thanks to bank staff
- 10 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
“It is a must for us to have local treatment, only those who have been through it know the misery.
“The sooner there’s treatment here in Stevenage the better.”
To secure the unit we need more completed forms so keep them rolling in.
As well as signatures, we want to hear from people who have been forced to make the trip to Mount Vernon for treatment, and any stories from the loved ones of cancer sufferers concerned by the lack of local provision.
To show your support click on the link at the top right of the page and sign the petition.