Journey to Mount Vernon Hospital a "misery"
WITH over 2,000 supporters, the campaign run by The Comet and Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland for better cancer care at Lister Hospital is really gaining momentum.
The campaign is backed by all the major political parties but we still need the support from our readers across Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.
At present patients have to endure an arduous journey to Mount Vernon Hospital, in Northwood, Middlesex, for treatment which a reader has been described as “an extra ordeal”.
Mrs A Dawkins said: “I fully support your campaign for a centre at the Lister Hospital for radiotherapy services.
“Although my husband, sadly no longer here, only had to go to Mount Vernon for three sessions as he was too ill to endure the normal four weeks of treatment, it was an extra ordeal to have to be up and out of bed and ready to go by eight in the morning.”
You may also want to watch:
Another letter sent to The Comet by Helene Rampley, who had to make the journey to receive treatment for breast cancer said: “I went by ambulance back and forth to Mount Vernon for weeks.
“The traffic at South Mimms was horrific daily and eventually I had a neighbour’s husband helping me survive the journey.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“It is a must for us to have local treatment, only those who have been through it know the misery.
“The sooner there’s treatment here in Stevenage the better.”
To secure the unit we need more completed forms so keep them rolling in.
As well as signatures, we want to hear from people who have been forced to make the trip to Mount Vernon for treatment, and any stories from the loved ones of cancer sufferers concerned by the lack of local provision.
To show your support click on the link at the top right of the page and sign the petition.