Jailed: Thief who spat at police officer, claiming to have HIV
- Credit: Archant
A 30-year-old thief from Letchworth who racially abused one police officer and spat at a second, claiming to have HIV, has been jailed.
Luke Ward, of High Avenue, was jailed for four weeks on Saturday after a series of crimes also including theft and criminal damage in Hitchin on Thursday.
Magistrates at Hatfield Remand Court heard that Ward stole a bottle of vodka and three joints of meat from Asda in Hitchin’s Queen Street, and damaged a window at Cannon House on the opposite side of the road.
It was at Cannon House that he spat at a police officer, stating that he had HIV.
Also on Thursday, Ward stole a bottle each of gin and whiskey from Hitchin’s Waitrose store, two aftershaves from Boots in the town’s High Street, and hurled racist abuse at a second police officer.
You may also want to watch:
Ward admitted all counts, as well as breaching a conditional discharge order imposed on January 3 for harassment.
As well as jailing Ward – who the court noted was only recently released from prison – chairman of the bench Keith Smith ordered him to pay a total of £265 in compensation for the broken window, racist abuse and theft from Asda, as well as fines totalling £100 and £85 costs. The overall total is £450.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out