It’s dad versus school as John tackles six-hour run
- Credit: Archant
A Stotfold dad is aiming to go the distance to drum up funds for his daughter’s school.
John McBurney has taken on the unenviable endurance challenge of running around the St Mary’s Academy School field non-stop for six hours tomorrow against a relay team of five sporty parents.
The challenge dubbed ‘dad versus school’ is all in aid of raising money for the school where John’s eight-year-old daughter Mabel is a pupil.
Hoping to run rings around John will be his wife, Kate McBurney, and her team-mates Tracey Palmieri, Sarah Passey, Sean Boucher, Jane Britten – none of whom are strangers to the track.
Students will also be encouraged to take part on the day and can come into school wearing sporty clothes in return for a small donation.
You may also want to watch:
The 42-year-old said: “It’s a fantastic school and the teachers do an amazing job.
“It has been fascinating for me to watch my daughter and all her friends growing up and progressing through the school.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
“If I can help raise funds for the school which can then be spent on new equipment then this is a simple way for me to contribute, to give something back.
“Also, the event is a really good way to get the children active and to hopefully inspire them to live a healthy lifestyle.”
John has been running and cycling for about 11 years, and ran the Milton Keynes Marathon and the London Marathon earlier this year as part of his preparation for the event.
He added: “These events have put me in good shape. I am out running four of five times a week and I feel well prepared for the challenge.”
There will be a sweepstake on the day to guess how many laps John runs with prizes donated by Stotfold-based businesses Card Crush Greetings, Box of Cakes, Queen Street Barbers and The Fox and Duck pub.
To sponsor John him via email on email@example.com or make a donation by calling the school 01462 730343.