‘It’s been a nightmare’ – Couple evicted from £650,000 Stotfold home after Pirtek UK row
- Credit: Archant
A couple who have never missed a mortgage payment in 25 years have been evicted from their £650,000 family home in Stotfold High Street.
Bob and Rose Jackson have also been left bankrupt after a wrangle with a company in which Bob had a franchise.
Pirtek UK, a multi-national company which provides hoses and hydraulics, accused Bob of buying and selling other companies’ products in breach of his contract – an allegation he strongly denies.
The dispute has seen the home Bob bought in 1992 repossessed over the debts he owes to Pirtek.
Bob and Rose, 62, were only given 15 minutes to leave their home after bailiffs forced them to vacate their home. They’ve also been declared bankrupt and had their assets frozen.
You may also want to watch:
When Pirtek gave him a bill of £30,000, which he refused to pay, it started court action. Three years on legal bills have left Bob, 63, owing more than £500,000. The bitter legal dispute resulted in them ending his franchise, shutting his business and seizing all its assets. It also resold his franchise to a third party.
Now his cause has been taken up by a campaign group championing small businesses, with at least 14 other people who held franchises with Pirtek involved in similar complaints – raising questions about methods the company is using.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
John Goddard of the Serious Banking Complaints Bureau said: “We’re aware of at least 14 individuals with similar types of complaints to Mr Jackson.”
Bob told the Comet: “Shaven-headed bomber-jacket wearing bailiffs turned up at my door one morning. They were really aggressive and gave us a quarter of an hour to leave our home we’ve lived in since 1992.
“It’s been a nightmare time. The stress has been awful.”
A spokesman said: “Pirtek wholly rejects any allegation it has unfairly targeted franchisees coming towards the end of their agreements.
“A financial motivation to churn franchisees simply does not exist.”