It’s a scoop - couple plan a tasty ice cream venture in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
A couple from Hitchin have unveiled a scoop which is sure to tantalise the town’s taste buds – they’re opening a gelateria.
Fabio Vincenti and Hannah King are set to launch Fabio’s Gelato at 13 Hermitage Road next month – with the pair offering a boost to the local economy by employing up to 10 people in the shop.
Hannah, 30, from Fells Close, explained: “I’m Hitchin born and bred. My mum went to Hitchin Girls’ School, and I’m one of seven siblings who attended the girls’ or boys’ schools, so I very much have the town in my heart.
“I love Hitchin and the fact it’s so community-minded – which completely chimes with what we’re trying to do with Fabio’s Gelato.
“In Italy the gelateria is the sociable hub of the community, in which family and friends savour great desserts and enjoy each other’s company.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll be trying to bring a taste of Italy to Hitchin – we’ve lots of community-minded ideas including mums and toddlers mornings, a buggy park, providing books for a children’s reading corner, and offering it out for community meetings.”
The pair found a shared love of gelato from their many visits to Rome, deciding to follow their dream and launch their own gelato business after Fabio proposed to Hannah in the Eternal City – and after he swam the English Channel last year.
- 1 How many people in Stevenage were fined for breaking COVID-19 laws?
- 2 SG1 regeneration officially under way as holding direction is lifted
- 3 Hitchin schoolboy Alex Kirk signs professional deal with Arsenal
- 4 The Market Theatre could be axed as plan for flats is drawn up
- 5 Confirmation that Stevenage Five Guys restaurant is coming soon
- 6 Do you have memories of Stevenage's Bowes Lyon skate park for history book?
- 7 Long-term flooding fix earmarked for major Stevenage road
- 8 Warning as more residents targeted by scam police calls
- 9 The hospice nurses administering COVID-19 vaccine in nearby care home
- 10 TV, motocross and quad bikes stolen in Stevenage burglary
Fabio, 31, said: “I spent a year training to swim the channel for Diabetes UK.
“I learned life’s too short not to try to make the most of things, so we decided to turn our passion into our living.
“I quit my job as a programmer and concentrated on our gelateria.
“Gelato uses less fat than normal ice cream, giving the fruit flavours a more intense taste.
“And as it’s churned faster it means less air, allowing a smoother texture. We’ll be serving up to 24 flavours including traditional pistachio, but I’ll also experiment with chilli.
“Hannah and I are getting married in August after I proposed in Rome – I’ll be making sure we serve wedding guests our gelato!”