It’s a scoop - couple plan a tasty ice cream venture in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
A couple from Hitchin have unveiled a scoop which is sure to tantalise the town’s taste buds – they’re opening a gelateria.
Fabio Vincenti and Hannah King are set to launch Fabio’s Gelato at 13 Hermitage Road next month – with the pair offering a boost to the local economy by employing up to 10 people in the shop.
Hannah, 30, from Fells Close, explained: “I’m Hitchin born and bred. My mum went to Hitchin Girls’ School, and I’m one of seven siblings who attended the girls’ or boys’ schools, so I very much have the town in my heart.
“I love Hitchin and the fact it’s so community-minded – which completely chimes with what we’re trying to do with Fabio’s Gelato.
“In Italy the gelateria is the sociable hub of the community, in which family and friends savour great desserts and enjoy each other’s company.
“We’ll be trying to bring a taste of Italy to Hitchin – we’ve lots of community-minded ideas including mums and toddlers mornings, a buggy park, providing books for a children’s reading corner, and offering it out for community meetings.”
The pair found a shared love of gelato from their many visits to Rome, deciding to follow their dream and launch their own gelato business after Fabio proposed to Hannah in the Eternal City – and after he swam the English Channel last year.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 8 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 9 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
Fabio, 31, said: “I spent a year training to swim the channel for Diabetes UK.
“I learned life’s too short not to try to make the most of things, so we decided to turn our passion into our living.
“I quit my job as a programmer and concentrated on our gelateria.
“Gelato uses less fat than normal ice cream, giving the fruit flavours a more intense taste.
“And as it’s churned faster it means less air, allowing a smoother texture. We’ll be serving up to 24 flavours including traditional pistachio, but I’ll also experiment with chilli.
“Hannah and I are getting married in August after I proposed in Rome – I’ll be making sure we serve wedding guests our gelato!”