It’s a rap for mayor
A DAZZLING display of local talent – including a performance from the man himself – was on the bill at a mayor s concert. Stevenage mayor Cllr Simon Speller held a fundraising concert at the Gordon Craig Theatre this week. Performers included students fro
A DAZZLING display of local talent - including a performance from the man himself - was on the bill at a mayor's concert.
Stevenage mayor Cllr Simon Speller held a fundraising concert at the Gordon Craig Theatre this week.
Performers included students from Almond Hill Junior School, Martins Wood Primary School and the Barclay School Jazz Band, as well as the Stevenage Lytton Players, Footworks School of Dance and cheerleaders from the Mentoring Basketball Academy (MBA) Association.
For the grand finale, Cllr Speller took to the stage with the other mayors from across Hertfordshire to perform a rap with Stevenage rapper Liquid.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Speller also had his beard shaved off in public after having a fundraising ballot at the council to see whether it should stay or go.
He said of the concert: "I thought it was a fantastic evening, everybody enjoyed it.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
"All the performances were absolutely top drawer.
"Being only the second of these evenings I hope that this becomes a tradition and I think, going on the audience reaction, it will."
Speaking about his rap performance, he said: "Since practice makes perfect I've got a lot of practising to do.
"I think Liquid's brilliant and I'm absolutely over the moon that the full chain gang came on stage to join in."
Monday's concert raised funds for the mayor's six charities, the MBA Association, Garden House Hospice, the Cyclists' Touring Club, Stevenage District Scouts, Sue Ryder Care and the Stevenage Community Trust.