Teenager in Stevenage ABH case named as London stabbing victim

Israel Ogunsola, 18, who was fatally stabbed in London. Picture: Facebook

Israel Ogunsola, 18, who was fatally stabbed in London. Picture: Facebook - Credit: Archant

A teenager who was set to be sentenced for injuring a police officer in Stevenage has been named as the victim of a fatal stabbing in north-east London.

Israel Ogunsola, 18, died near a railway bridge in Hackney’s Link Street at 8.24pm last night – half an hour after being stabbed, and despite the efforts of emergency crews. Two 17-year-old boys have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Ch Supt Sue Williams from the Met Police said her officers “did all they could to try to save the life of the teenager, rendering emergency first aid and chest compressions with the help of an off-duty paramedic until the ambulance service and London’s air ambulance arrived”.

She added: “They are devastated they were unable to prevent yet another tragic death in the capital.”

Israel pleaded guilty to ABH, dangerous driving, driving without a licence, driving with no insurance and being in possession of cannabis after an incident at Stevenage Leisure Park on November 24 that resulted in a police officer being taken to the town’s Lister Hospital with a head injury.

You may also want to watch:

The incident, which happened in the early hours of the Friday morning, saw the officer and some colleagues try to stop the black Vauxhall Astra that Israel was driving. He failed to stop, and continued on to Ingleside Drive before trying to flee.

Israel admitted the charges at Stevenage Magistrates’ Court on December 20. He had been set for sentencing at St Albans Crown Court on February 14 – but the case was adjourned first to March 15 and then to April 20 so further medical reports could be prepared on him.

Most Read

The teenager had been studying towards a foundation degree at North Herts College’s Stevenage campus as part of the Hatfield-based University of Hertfordshire’s higher education consortium.

North Herts College said he had ceased being a student “several months ago”. One of the 18-year-old’s friends told The Guardian that he had recently returned home to live with his parents in London.

Israel’s death, together with that of a 53-year-old man yesterday afternoon, brings the number of suspected murders in the capital up to more than 50 in three months.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter